I was going to keep adding all the questions to the same post but ack, my life is way too complicated as it is and a new post is easier! That said, these posts are exclusively for the readalong so turn back now to avoid spoilers!
The questions for week two, chapters roughly 6-8 , of the readalong are provided by Nils and some of the fine folks over at https://fantasy-hive.co.uk/posts/ !
1) There was a little confusion last week on whether chapter six was supposed to be included, so let’s explore this one first. We discussed the Pervy Prince last week – would you like to weigh in on his antics across the border?
I firmly believe that it takes two to tango. If the princess was down for a roll in the hay, and it seemed like she was, fine and so be it. It’s probably an advantageous political match if nothing else
I have more pressing questions like – how did they know about each other if the worlds are kept apart so much that no one has visited in 1000 years? How the hell are the physical letters even getting across, it’s not like carrier pigeons would know where to go… Someone explain this to me lol
2)We’re a sizable step into the story now, so how are we all finding the pacing?
The pacing is definitely getting quicker and the story more interesting. What threw me off is the chapter lengths and how they went from like 10 pages on average to 40 or 50 each. I found that jarring.
3) Loren continues his mysterious antics, have your opinions about him shifted at all? Or is there a certain other mage you’re now more concerned about?
I am worried about ALL the mages! It seems like each one has their own individual agenda and I’m wondering which one (or for who) Ysanne’s helper is working for.
Loren almost rode his horse to death, and for what? What is his game? Metran actually had me cracking up because both old men are pretending to be a lot more creaky and senile than they are. I wondered if Ailell and Metran are onto each other in the way that “it takes a faker to know one”
4) Between the children’s game and Kim’s dream, not to mention Ysanne’s mutterings to herself, prophecy is a key element weaving through this story. What are your reactions to the various foretellings thus far?
The children’s game freaked me out a bit, I am super curious to know what The Longest Road is! I also am curious as to why Jaelle could sense a prophecy or power being fulfilled but not discern it’s meaning. If I were her I think I would have struck a peace with Ysanne to find out what had occurred.
I love all the prophecy though, it’ll be fun to see how much is fulfilled and where it all fits into “the tapestry”
5) Let’s address the massive sacrificial magical tree in the room – would you have offered yourself in Paul’s shoes?
Absolutely not, 100% absolutely not. I’m not overtly Catholic but suicide is a huge no-no. I don’t even see any good reason why Paul wants to die so badly, I get that his ex died but whatever else he is grieving for needs to be addressed because right now I just consider him depressed and mentally unbalanced
6) There were two pretty major battles this week. The lios alfar were slaughtered by Galadan, and Paul witnessed a truly moving fight between Galadan and his mysterious canine protector. What were your reactions?
The first fight mentioned was interesting because it brought out the Galadan / Matram storyline, and seems to be sucking the entire kingdom into war.
That said, the fight between the canines was a lot more moving. Paul has to hang on for 3 days and nights to fulfill the prophecy and The Companion bought him the time to do so.
Why doesn’t Galadan want the sacrifice fulfilled, what is coming? What happens to him when Mörnir comes?
7) There’s still no sign of Dave! First time readers – any theories? Revisitors, do you recall if you had any opinions on this before?
I think Dave is hiding in a linen closet and watching everything, waiting for the time to jump out and save everyone. Either that or he is joined up with the king’s other son (who I think we briefly met at the end of chapter 7), because wouldn’t that be ironic
Any other thoughts this week?
I think it’s a good read still but these longer chapters are hard for my attention span. I also wish that GGK would stop throwing random names and items and events out with explanations. It’s a lot to keep track of and with more questions than answers I am so afraid I’m going to miss something important