Hello and welcome to the handful of new followers that came off of my Bookstagram giveaway! This is a post about reading in general, one of my first that isn’t explicitly a book review.
What causes a good or bad reading month for you?
I managed to read 14 books this past month, when my average has been 11 so far this year. When thinking about the factors., usually bad weather and time off causes me to read more, but I hit an interesting point in my life this June where I was in between work contracts for three weeks, uncomfortable in a new place, and my horse is injured so she is hanging out in a pasture, not requiring much as much time as usual. Normally I would travel during my time off but I think my anxiety kicked in just enough to keep me productive, but local. One other factor was that I read through two very good trilogies which kept me going through the books a little faster.
This month in books: (Also, yes, don’t get used to this – I don’t normally give out this many stars but the books were mostly amazing this month!
1) Finale by Stephanie Garber – 1*- I read about two chapters a day so I could tolerate it, and finished mid June
2)Siege and Sacrifice (Numina, #3) by Charlie N. Holmberg – 5* – Everything an ending should be. My favorite read this month ❤
3)The Queen’s Poisoner (Kingfountain #1) by Jeff Wheeler – 4*- Oh gosh, Owen and Evie
4)The Thief’s Daughter (Kingfountain #2) by Jeff Wheeler – 5* – Tied for favorite book this month
5) Evelyn, After by Victoria Helen Stone – 2.5*- a “thriller” with a lot of potential but did not deliver anything remotely thrilling
6)The King’s Traitor (Kingfountain #3) by Jeff Wheeler – 5* – Love, love, love love love this series
7) Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah – 4*, not my jam but a great book. Bonus points for absolutely NAILING how nurses act in the hospital some times 😀
8) And I Darken (The Conqueror’s Saga #1) by Kiersten White – 4* – A great choice for a buddy read this month. Give me book 2 now please!
9) One Little Secret – Cate Holahan – No spoilers at all, come back for my blog tour spot on July 26th!!
10)A Nearly Normal Family by MT Edvardsson – 3* – a Swedish procedural mystery, was supposed to be a thriller but I was not too surprised or thrilled, but did enjoy the way the book was presented
11) The Phoenix Grail by Helen Savore – I will admit to mixed feelings. I am doing an author interview with Helen here on the blog, on JULY 9TH, so definitely come back for that because Helen is a character!
12) Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young – 4* – beautiful overarching theme of enemies to allies and overcoming your (not so) differences. I liked the Viking esque time period!
13)The Sound of Rain by Gregg Olsen – 3.5* – great start to a thriller series and a thoughtful look at addiction as well
14) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab – 3.5* -mixed feelings but by no means disliked it.
I would love to talk about any of these books if anyone wants! Some may appear in reviews once I get caught up! Thank youuu and happy July reading!